Podcast Recording Information for Guests
For recording shows, we use Zencastr. It will handle the actual recording and allow us to talk to each other.
Zencastr records each side of our conversation separately on each of our own computers. It uploads both of our recordings to the cloud to be mixed together. This results in MUCH better audio quality than recording a phone call, a Skype call, doing the BlogTalkRadio thing, etc.
Because we need the recording to fully upload to the cloud, please don’t leave the Zencastr page when we are done recording until you get a notice that your file was uploaded (it usually takes only 5-10 seconds).
Here’s what else you’ll need:
- computer with a reliable, high-speed Internet connection (see System Requirements below)
- headphones or earbuds (necessary to avoid recording the output of your speakers)
- microphone (preferably external, but we can use your computer’s built-in mic if absolutely necessary)
Also, note that your microphone needs to be recognized by Zencastr (visit here for help).
- Mac OS 10.10 or higher OR Windows 8.1 or higher
- 20GB+ of free hard disk space (This may sound high for recording a podcast. For this application, the browser can only use a percentage of the total free disk space. Having 20GB free should ensure that there is at least 2GB available for recordings.)
- 4GB+ of RAM
- up-to-date version of Google Chrome or Firefox.
- minimum network speed of 1.5 Mbps down (If possible, please use a wired internet connection instead of wifi or mobile phone connection. If the connection drops below the minimum network speed, we risk having dropouts in the recording.)
- I will email you the link to the Zencastr session before we record.
- At the scheduled time, simply open that link in Chrome or Firefox.
- You will be prompted to allow access to your microphone in the upper left-hand side of your screen. Click to allow microphone access and then I will be able to start recording. (If you are using Firefox, please select the ‘Always Allow’ option. This will then make it possible for you to make audio input/output selections from inside Zencastr.)
- This is worth repeating again: Because we need the recording to fully upload to the cloud, please don’t leave the Zencastr page when we are done recording until you get a notice that your file was uploaded (it usually takes only 5-10 seconds).