15 Minutes with FIJA
This short event will feature a quick 15-minute presentation from FIJA:
- to update you on recent jury-related news such as the status of trial by jury during the pandemic, court cases related to jury rights, legislation regarding trial by jury, etc., and
- highlight one FIJA project, resource, activity, etc.
We'll start on time, pack that 15 minutes with information, and then you can be on your way. Optionally, you can stick around for another 15 minutes for a quick Q&A session afterward.
Our next session with be on 26 October 2020 at 6:30 pm Mountain time. Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
19 October 2020
- Two cases in which appellate courts overturned convictions when prosecutors made false statements to jurors
- Federal judge dismissed a 35-count indictment with prejudice when the chief judge of the court in which the proceedings were scheduled continued to refuse to provide a trial by jury ostensibly due to the pandemic
- Second anonymous grand juror from the Breonna Taylor homicide grand jury is being represented by the same attorney as the first who has made a legal motion to be allowed to make public statements about the proceedings
- FIJA Feature: Take the quiz!
12 October 2020
- Status of trials by jury in courts around the country
- Anonymous grand juror petitions for release of grand jury proceedings regarding the Breonna Taylor homicide and for all the grand jurors to be allowed to speak publicly on the matter
- Serious legal concerns with remote trials by jury
- FIJA Feature: FIJA Speakers' Bureau